Skip to main content

Sangakkara steps down as ODI and T20 captain

Kumar Sangakkara receives his runners-up medal, India v Sri Lanka, final, World Cup 2011, Mumbai, April 2, 2011
The World Cup final was Kumar Sangakkara's last game as Sri Lanka's limited-overs' captain © Getty Images
Enlarge
Related Links
Players/Officials: Kumar Sangakkara
Teams: Sri Lanka

Kumar Sangakkara has stepped down as captain of Sri Lanka's ODI and T20 teams but has offered to continue as the Test captain on an interim basis for the forthcoming series against England and Australia "if this is considered helpful for the new captain". He will continue as a player in all formats of the game.
His decision, revealed on Tuesday, comes days after he led Sri Lanka to the World Cup final. Tillakaratne Dilshan and Angelo Mathews are among those tipped to take charge of the limited-overs' sides, while Thilan Samaraweera is being discussed as an option to lead the Test team.
Sangakkara was the third highest scorer in the 2011 World Cup and scored 48 in their defeat to India in the final.
"I would like to announce that after careful consideration I have concluded that it is in the best long-term interests of the team that I step down now as national captain so that a new leader can be properly groomed for the 2015 World Cup in Australia", a statement from Sangakkara said.
"This was a decision I made prior to the 2011 World Cup. I will be 37 by the next World Cup and I cannot therefore be sure of my place in the team. It is better that Sri Lanka is led now by a player who will be at the peak of their career during that tournament.
"It has been a true honour and a great privilege to serve my country as captain during the past two years and, although bitterly disappointed that we could not win the final, I am very proud of the performances of the team.
"I met with the selectors on Monday and I explained my reasons for my decision and I assured them of my fullest support in helping our new captain settle into the leadership.
"In this regard, I have offered to continue as the Test captain for the forthcoming series with England and possibly Australia if the selectors believe this would help the new captain and aid the transition.
"I have no plans of retirement from international cricket at this stage and subject to form and fitness I would like to be considered for selection in all three formats of the game for the foreseeable future. "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny Images

Read Biography Of Anna Hazare - "Second Gandhi"

Kisan Bapat Baburao Hazare (Marathi: किसन बापट बाबुराव हजारे) (born 15 January 1940), popularly known as Anna Hazare (Marathi: अण्णा हजारे), is an Indian social activist who is especially recognized for his contribution to the development of Ralegan Siddhi, a village in Parner taluka of Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra, India and his efforts for establishing it as a model village, for which he was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the government of India in 1992.[1] On April 5, 2011, Hazare started a 'fast unto death' to exert pressure on the government of India to enact a strong anti-corruption act as envisaged in the Jan Lokpal Bill, a law that will establish a Lokpal (ombudsman) that will have the power to deal with corruption in public offices. The fast led to nation wide protests in support of Hazare. The fast ended on 9 April 2011, the day after all of Harare's demands were agreed by the government of India and the government issued a gazette notification on the formatio

Latest News of London Riots

A total of 99 people have so far been charged with offences connected with the violence and looting in London over the last three days. At least 40 of them appeared in court yesterday as surprising details emerged of the kind of people allegedly involved. One was a man who was about to join the army while others included a youth worker and a forklift truck driver. Other cases revealed the tactics allegedly used by suspects during the disturbances. Officers allegedly found text messages on 25-year-old Kieron Samuels' phone following his arrest for looting JD Sports, which appeared to show the co-ordination behind the riots. Camberwell Green Magistrates Court heard the texts included: 'F*** the fees! 'Everyone in south link up – bring your bags and trolleys!' Samuels, of Peckham, was remanded in custody. The majority of those who appeared at Camberwell were charged with burglary over the looting of branches of Currys, H&M, JD Sports and a string of mobile phone shops